Episode 15: How to Apply a "Marketer's Mindset" to Teaching and Learning with Dr. Norman Eng
My guest for episode 15 of the Lecture Breakers podcast is Dr. Norman Eng. Norman is an adjunct associate professor and he has published two books: College Teaching and Presenting: The Professor's Guide to Powerful Communication.
He is also the founder of Education X Design, and his mission is to help educators move beyond delivering content and into engaging with and connecting with all of our audiences (students in your class, colleagues in a workshop, and peers in a conference session).
I invited Norman to the show because of his unique expertise. His work explores the intersection of marketing and teaching. In this episode, we talk about how he has taken what he learned as a former marketing executive and applied it to college teaching. He shows us how to apply a "marketer's mindset" to college teaching to help break through the clutter of information overload and create a learning environment where students are engaged and on task.
The "marketer's mindset" begins by getting to know your students' mindset. Marketers know how to tap into the minds of their clients by asking questions such as: What are their struggles, their frustrations, their problems, their experiences, and their goals? Norman encourages us to ask these same questions about our students (and our faculty) so we can design learning experiences based on their interests, goals, and experiences.
Before you decide WHAT to teach, you have to know WHO you teach. And that information will inform HOW you teach.
Norman is also the creator of the “one-sentence lesson plan” which he’ll walk us through in this episode. It's an excellent (and simple!) way to clarify the purpose of your lesson, align the learning outcomes with the "why", and choose activities that will help your students succeed.
"Nobody pays attention to old stuff, stuff that's familiar."
"I like using assessments to help students learn rather than as a measure of students' knowledge and performance."
Show Notes: (Listed in the order the resource was discussed on the show)
- Read Norman's first book: Teaching College*
- Learn more about Norman's work and his business Education X Design
- Read more about the One-Sentence Lesson Plan
- Read his newest book: Presenting: The Professor's Guide to Powerful Communication*
- Learn more about Dr. Pooja K. Agarwal's work on retrieval practice.
- Check out PearDeck to create more engaging slides.
- Use PollEverywhere to engage your audiences in real-time.
- Learn more about FlipGrid as a video tool to increase engagement.
- Try using Padlet to enhance collaboration.
- Attend the Teaching Professor Conference
- Attend a Lilly Conference
- Read Seth Godin's This is Marketing and Purple Cow
- Get the book Building a Story Brand* by Donald Miller
- Download Norman's free quick guide: 7 Proven Steps to Planning, Teaching, and Engaging Your Students
- Connect with Norman on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Enroll in The Teaching College Masterclass
- Work with Norman! Learn more about his speaking services, workshops, and one-on-one coaching.
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group.
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.