Episode 22: 5 Ways to Help Students Succeed in Online Courses with Holly Owens
In this week’s episode of the Lecture Breakers podcast, our guest is Holly Owens. She is an instructional designer focused on supporting educators who teach online. I think you'll be able to tell just how passionate she is about her work and how much she enjoys helping instructors create effective and engaging online learning experiences for students.
In this episode, Holly shares 5 recommendations for helping students succeed in online courses. A few things you'll learn:
- How to make online learning a positive and engaging experience for you and your students.
What instructional designers do and how they can help you design effective online courses and learning experiences.
- Strategies to keep students engaged online throughout the semester.
- Why you should consider using rubrics in your online courses.
- Why you shouldn't wait until the end of the semester to get student feedback about the course.
- An easy 3-minute mid-semester evaluation strategy to try in your course.
- Tech tools that go beyond discussion forums.
- Read Holly's blog post 7 Not-So-Common Reasons Why I LOVE Teaching Online.
- Sign up for Holly's Online Course Design program. Use the promo code BARBI to get 20% off!
- Read my blog post about the Start, Stop, Continue mid-semester feedback strategy.
- Try Glogster if youwant to add virtual posters to your online course.
- Learn more about VoiceThread as an alternative to text-focused discussion forums.
- Check out the Online Learning Consortium for more resources and support for teaching online.
- Learn more about Educause and the resources available to educators who teach online.
- Check out EdSurge for more online teaching and learning resources and ideas.
- Stay up-to-date by reading the latest articles from Inside Higher Ed
- Browse TED Talks and add a few to your online course.
- Email Holly at email@example.com
- Connect with Holly on LinkedIn and Twitter @ ihollyo
- Connect with Holly on Instagram @jolly_hollyllc
- Learn more about Holly's business Jolly Holly Ed Services
- Join the free private Lecture Breakers Facebook group!
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.