Episode 24: Generation Z as Learners: How to Create Meaningful Learning Experiences that Connect with Today's College Students with Meghan Grace
If you follow me on social media, you know I like to share memes related to the 1980s since that's the decade I grew up in. I enjoy using 80’s pop culture to promote this podcast for example. Movies such as Back to the Future, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off…these are just a few 80s movie references I’ve shared over the past few months.
And, while this works for us, it probably wouldn’t work very well with today’s college students. We can’t really connect with them through these pop culture references the same way we can when we’re talking to a friend who grew up around the same time we did. We have to find a new way to connect with today’s college students.
And, that’s what today’s episode is all about. Generation Z. These are young adults born between 1995-2010 who are now coming to college and joining the workforce. They have different views of the world, of what they want their education to be, and how they fit in (or not) to the society they are part of and will be leading in the future.
Our guest for episode 24 of the Lecture Breakers podcast is Meghan Grace. She's here to share more about the research on Generation Z, how they learn, and how we can create meaningful learning experiences that connect with today’s college students.
- Who is Generation Z?
- What are their values, especially when thinking about college?
- How do they build relationships and make connections with others?
- How do they like to learn?
- What matters to them and what frustrates them, especially in the college classroom?
What types of teaching strategies and learning experiences resonate the most with Generation Z?
What can you do to encourage educators to change the way they are doing things and move away from the "this is the way I've always done it" or "this worked for me so it should work for my students" mentality?
- Get the book Generation Z Goes to College*
- Get the guidebook: Generation Z Leads: A Guide for Developing the Leadership Capacity of Generation Z Students*
- Get the book Generation Z: A Century in the Making*
- Get the guidebook: Generation Z Learns*
- Read the latest news and information about higher education on Inside Higher Ed and The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Learn more about Meghan's work on her website.
- Connect with Meghan on Instagram
- Connect with Meghan on LinkedIn
- Follow with Meghan on Twitter
- Listen to the #GenZ podcast
- Learn more about Meghan's work on The Gen Z Hub
- Read more about Generation Z in this infographic "Understanding Generation Z Students"
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.