Episode 41: How to Create a Learning Environment Where Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are Valued with Dr. Chavella Pittman
Our guest for episode 41 of the Lecture Breakers podcast is Dr. Chavella Pittman. She’s a Sociology Professor and founder of Effective and Efficient Faculty where she offers workshops, coaching, and consultation services focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education.
In this episode, Chavella and I discuss how to create a learning environment in which our most vulnerable and marginalized students and faculty are able to participate and benefit fully in the learning and teaching experience.
She shares the 6 S's of inclusive teaching which are the foundational practices that must be in place to do this work. This episode is also a little different than previous episodes because I ask the questions you submitted through email or social media.
- "When diversity, inclusion, and equity exist in a classroom, it means that the classroom is a space in which our most vulnerable and marginalized students and faculty are able to participate and benefit fully in the learning and teaching experience."
- "Well-intentioned people are afraid of getting it wrong so they get stuck in inaction."
"You have to make it clear what types of interactions lead to success in your classroom."
"This work requires expertise and investment."
- Learn more about Chavella's work on her website.
- Read Chavella's article Race and Gender Oppression in the Classroom: The Experiences of Women Faculty of Color in Teaching Sociology.
Download Chavella's handy dandy practical sheet of things you can say in the moment in response to classroom incivility.
- Download Chavell's free guide: Quick Shift to Teaching Online: Protecting Diverse Students and Faculty
Listen to Dr. Newton Miller's episode about working with "at potential" populations, motivation, and mindset.
- Listen to Dr. Meghan Grace's episode about Generation Z.
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.