Episode 48: How to Create Social Spaces in Your Courses with Dr. Melissa Wehler
In episode 48 of the Lecture Breakers podcast, Dr. Melissa Wehler joins us to talk about how to create social spaces in our courses.
We know teaching and learning is about more than mastering learning outcomes. When we break up our lectures, we create spaces for students to connect and share ideas related to course content, but also to meet each other, make connections, and socialize.
Research shows us these connections positively influence student engagement, motivation, retention, and success. But the big question is, how can we create these social connections in our online classes? That's why I'm excited to welcome Melissa back to the show!
Meet our sponsor for this episode! Be sure to check out the Online Learning Toolkit! I have partnered with Dr. Melissa Wehler (our guest for this episode and episode 43) and Judith Dutill (our guest in episode 11) to bring you more resources to support you in teaching effectively online.
As a Lecture Breakers podcast listener, you get 20% off the annual subscription for the Online Learning Toolkit! Go to: barbihoneycutt.com/olt and use the coupon code LECTUREBREAKERS20.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Why social spaces are important, especially in online courses.
- 7 different strategies you can use to create social spaces in your courses.
- Tips to create successful communities and social spaces in your courses.
- Whether or not you should assess participation in social spaces.
- How to make time for social spaces in your course.
Listen to episode 43 to learn more about how Melissa teaches difficult topics and creates a safe space for students.
- Use this link to get a special discount off your yearly subscription to the Online Learning Toolkit!
- Read my blog post about The Power of the Pause
- Connect with Melissa on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Connect with the Online Learning Toolkit on Facebook and Twitter
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.