Episode 6: How to Create More Engaging Online Learning Environments with Dr. John Orlando
Dr. John Orlando joins us in episode 6 to share ways you can create more engaging online learning experiences. Many of you have asked, "How can we reduce the "distance" in distance education?" and "How can we create more engaging course materials in online courses?" John and I discuss these questions and more!
We also discuss ways you can adapt teaching strategies to work in online and in-person learning environments, so if you're not teaching online, there's plenty of great advice in this episode to help you think about how to create engaging learning experiences.
- Read the 3 Types of Stories You Can Use to Break Up Your Lecture, Build Rapport, and Increase Student Engagement (blog post by Barbi)
- Read John's article comparing voice, text, and screencasting feedback. A Comparison of Text, Voice, and Screencasting Feedback to Online Students. The American Journal of Distance Education, v. 30, i. 3, 2016
- Check out the Learning How to Learn course in Coursera
- Create more engaging videos with Articulate Storyline software.
- Experiment with EdPuzzle to create more interactive videos and assess students' learning.
- Connect with John on LinkedIn.
- Connect with John by email: email@example.com
- Be sure to join the Lecture Breakers Facebook group!
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.