Episode 76: Creating Successful Learning Experiences for Students Who Identify as Neurodiverse with Dr. Siva priya Santhanam
In episode 76 of the Lecture Breakers podcast, our guest is Dr. Siva priya Santhanam. Siva's expertise is working with students on the autism spectrum.
As we think about breaking up our lectures and creating more engaging student-centered learning experiences, we have to consider the experience of all students in these learning environments.
In this episode, Siva clarifies the terminology so we can have these conversations on our campuses and with our colleagues. She also shares tips and recommendations for planning and organizing your course, designing active learning experiences, and how to reduce student anxiety. We also discuss tips for helping neurodiverse students succeed when working in groups and in online courses.
- Tips and recommendations to plan and organize your course based on the needs and challenges of students who identify as neurodiverse.
What to consider before you start planning a lesson or activity to help all students succeed.
- Course design tips to reduce students' anxiety.
- How to create more successful group work and active learning experiences.
- Tips for helping neurodiverse students succeed in online courses.
- Learn more about Siva's work on her website.
- Learn more about the Integrated Support for Students with Autism in College (ISSAC)
- Learn more about training and professional development resources focused on autism and the Universal Design for Learning
- Read more: Supporting Learning in Students with Autism: What Do Professors Need to Know? (Faculty Focus)
- Connect with Siva on Twitter
- Email Siva: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.