Episode 78: Take Your Online Course to the Next Level: Course Design, Equity, and Engagement Strategies with Dr. Kevin Kelly and Dr. Todd Zakrajsek
Don't forget to register for the Lecture Breakers Virtual Summer Conference! It's the last one, so don't miss it!
In episode 78 of the Lecture Breakers podcast, Dr. Kevin Kelly and Dr. Todd Zakrajsek join us to talk about their new book Advancing Online Teaching: Creating Equity-Based Digital Learning Environments.*
Kevin and Todd share tips, recommendations, and examples of how to take your online course to the next level. We organized this conversation around three main themes: course design, student engagement, and assessment. And, an important thread that runs throughout the book and our conversation is the importance of equity in online spaces.
They give a "big picture" overview of online course design, but they also share some very specific teaching strategies and technology tools to help you take your online course to the next level.
- Course design strategies to create a well-organized and engaging course to encourage student participation and enhance motivation.
- Tips and strategies to create online discussion forums that are more engaging, relevant, and meaningful.
- How a "consistent communication cadence" helps students stay engaged, informed, and on task.
Assessment strategies for online courses and forums. (I enjoyed the "each one, teach one" strategy and the "one minute thread")
- Tips to encourage students to try something new when it comes to showing what they know and choosing how they want to share it.
- Get the book! Advancing Online Teaching: Creating Equity-Based Digital Learning Environments.*
- Learn more about the Lilly conferences
- Learn more about TILT Higher Ed (Transparency In Learning and Teaching)
- Learn more about backward course design
- Explore the tech tools mentioned in this episode:
- Listen to Karen Costa's episode of the Lecture Breakers podcast to learn more about easy ways to create online videos without getting overwhelmed.
- Connect with Kevin on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Connect with Todd on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.