Episode 85: The Power of Play: Using Play to Break Up Your Lectures and Improve Student Learning (Part 1) with Dr. David Thomas and Dr. Lisa Forbes
In episode 85 of the Lecture Breakers podcast, Dr. David Thomas and Dr. Lisa Forbes, co-creators of Professors at Play, join us to talk about using play to create transformative learning experiences in higher education.
In this episode, we:
explore what play is and discuss the benefits of play to create transformative learning experiences in the college classroom.
- examine why some people think play isn’t scholarly and why some critics question the rigor of purpose of play in higher education.
- learn more about Lisa's findings from her latest research about the power of play in the college classroom.
- share recommendations to address the hesitance or fear you may feel as you think about being more playful in your teaching.
This is part 1 of a 2-part episode. In part 2, we dig into specific examples of how David and Lisa integrate play into their courses which might inspire you to try integrating more playful approaches into your courses.
- Learn more about the Professors at Play community and resources.
- Read the research: The Process of Play in Learning in Higher Education: A Phenomenological Study by Dr. Lisa Forbes (Journal of Teaching and Learning)
- Read more: A Game a Day: Fun and Dynamic Synchronous Online Learning (Faculty Focus article)
- Read more: Fostering Fun: Engaging Students with Asynchronous Online Learning (Faculty Focus article)
- Read more: Play in the Time of COVID-19 (Educause article)
- Connect with Professors at Play on Twitter
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.