Episode 11: Enhancing Communication and Engagement in the Online Classroom with Judith Dutill
Description: In episode 11 of the Lecture Breakers podcast, Judith Dutill is our guest. She teaches communication courses, supports faculty in instructional design, and manages The Online Learning Toolkit.
In this episode, we discuss ways to enhance communication, increase engagement, and encourage creativity in the online classroom. Judith shares a variety of strategies and tools you can use to help students build their speaking skills in digital contexts. Students are going to need to know how to speak in a variety of online spaces, and this episode is packed ideas you can use to support your students.
Judith also does a great job reminding us how to make small changes without feeling overwhelmed or trying to be perfect. And, she offers advice on how you can connect with your students in more meaningful ways when you share your authentic, creative self in your online classroom.
Words of Wisdom:
"Teaching online is a different pedagogy."
Adobe Spark - make graphics, videos, and web pages.
Canva - make graphics; design templates
- Create a meme using the meme generator or Make a Meme
Flipgrid for creating short videos
Voicethread to create collaborative online experiences
- Learn more about Dr. Katie Linder & radical self-trust
- Listen to Bonni Stachowiak's Teaching in Higher Education podcast
- Learn more about Michelle Pacansky-Brock's work on humanizing online learning
- Connect with Judith on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Learn more about The Online Learning Toolkit.* Lecture Breakers listeners get a 1-year OLT subscription for $40 (20% Discount). Use code: LECTUREBREAKERS20
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.