Episode 26: How to Integrate Universal Design for Learning Principles In Your Online Courses with Dr. Thomas J. Tobin
Our guest for episode 26 of the Lecture Breakers teaching and learning podcast is Dr. Thomas J. Tobin. This episode is actually “part 2” of a conversation from episode 19.
In episode 19, Tom shared advice for integrating the Universal Design for Learning principles into our lectures and activities. As I edited that episode, I felt like we needed to extend our conversation a little more to include UDL principles specific to the online classroom. I know many of you teach online or in blended, flipped, or hybrid formats, so this episode is for you!
In this episode, Tom talks about how to apply the “+1” thinking to the online space and how to keep the "rigor high and the barriers low" when designing online learning experiences. He also shares helpful and easy-to-use tools to help you integrate UDL principles into your online courses.
In this episode, you'll learn more about:
- What to do when you are getting started with designing an online course and integrating UDL principles.
- UDL strategies you can use if you already have a course online and you've been teaching online for a while.
- Tips for integrating UDL in both synchronous and asynchronous online courses.
- How to use "+1" as a strategy to implement UDL principles.
- How to design for the multiple ways for people to access information.
- Tips for determining how to focus your attention, time, and resources as you think about implementing UDL principles in your online courses.
- Get the book! Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone* by Thomas J. Tobin and Kirsten T. Behling
- Read more about UDL and online learning: Tobin, T. J. (2014). Increase online student retention with Universal Design for Learning. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 15(3): 13-24. http://www.engl.duq.
- Learn more about UDL on Campus (CAST): UDL On Campus: Home
- Read more about the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Learn more about Microsoft presentation translator
Get transcription services through 3PlayMedia and/or Rev
- Learn more about this captioning tool: Captioning Key
- Learn more about Ally (software that integrates w/your LMS)
Learn more about WebAIM (Web Accessibility in Mind)
Get Julie Dirksen's book Design For How People Learn*
- Get the book The Excellent Online Instructor* by Palloff and Pratt.
- Connect with Tom on LinkedI
n• Twitter • Facebook
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.