Episode 27: Shifting Mindsets About Teaching Online with Dr. Michelle Miller
Our guest on episode 27 of the Lecture Breakers podcast is Dr. Michelle Miller, author of the book Minds Online: Teaching Effectively with Technology.* With everything happening in the world today, Michelle’s work has never been more important as we think about how to create effective and engaging learning experiences in the online space.
As a cognitive psychologist, Michelle bridges her research in psychology, memory, and attention with her expertise in teaching with technology. One part of the discussion that I think many of you will find most interesting is the part when we talk about mindset.
How do we re-examine our own assumptions and mindset about what teaching online is and could be? And, how do you help your colleagues or the faculty you work with shift their mindset and move away from the “that’s the way I’ve always done it” way of thinking about teaching and learning is in higher education, especially as it relates to online learning.
I hope you enjoy this deeper dive into how cognitive frameworks can inform the design of your online courses.
What you'll learn in this episode:
- How to re-examine your mindset and your assumptions of what teaching online is and can be.
How to examine the online relationships in your own life and consider how they might work with your students, your colleagues, and other scholars in your network.
Strategies for humanizing and relationship-building in online spaces.
Recommendations for thinking about a new way of teaching and learning in the online space.
What to do (and not do) when working with your colleagues to shift their mindset about teaching, especially in the online space.
- What "effortful practice" looks like in online courses.
- Get the book! Minds Online: Teaching Effectively with Technology.*
- Read more about the "crockpot model" of online learning (by Flower Darby)
- Read Michelle's interview with Dr. James Lang in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Read Michelle's advice guide "How to Make Smart Choices About Tech for Your Course" inThe Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Check out The Learning Scientists website.
- Check out the Retrieval Practice website.
- Learn more about Michelle on her website.
- Learn more about Michelle's work on her Academia.edu page.
- Connect with Michelle on Twitter
- Join the free & private Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.