Episode 89: Let's Talk about Ungrading (Part 1) with Dr. Chris Jones and Dr. Heather Miceli
In episode 89 of the Lecture Breakers podcast, Dr. Chris Jones and Dr. Heather Miceli join us to talk about ungrading in higher education.
In this two-part episode, Chris and Heather bring us very different perspectives. Chris brings us the perspective of both a faculty member and a de facto program administrator. And, he just completed his first semester using the ungrading approach.
Heather brings us the perspective of being an adjunct professor teaching introductory science courses. And she has been using the ungrading approach for awhile.
In part 1 of this conversation, Chris and Heather talk about what ungrading is and how they implement this approach in their courses. They also discuss some common misconceptions about ungrading.
In part 2 (episode 90), they share how they introduce students to ungrading, how they are overcoming some of the challenges of ungrading, and how they are making assessment and feedback work within the ungrading model.
- Get Susan Blum's book: Ungrading: Why Rating Students Undermines Learning (and What to Do Instead)
- Learn more from Jesse Stommel's blog: How to Ungrade
- Learn more from Clarissa Sorenson-Unruh (ungrading and chemistry)
- Connect with Chris on Twitter
- Connect with Heather on Twitter
- Join the free Lecture Breakers Facebook group
- Don't miss an episode! Be sure to subscribe to the show!
Some of these resources contain affiliate links (indicated by *). If you purchase a product or sign up for a program through one of these links, I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I only endorse products and services that I think will be helpful for you and that I have used myself. Thank you for your support.